Friday, April 17, 2009

Still Life with Crab

I could have sworn I read some mention of this piece in our reading... or possibly in the other art book I have-- Gardner's Art Through the Ages-- but upon second look, I've come up with nothing. Several internet searches proclaim Abraham van Beyeren (van Beijeren?) to be one of the greatest still life painters of the Baroque... with that, I find it strange to not have found any information on him (or his work) in these texts.

With the title being familiar to me from somwhere, I was excited to see the piece in person at the Cantor museum. The beatifully polished black jug (vase?) and the white cloth... again, I really like this contrast (think de Zurbaran's Saint Serapion). I think I just generally find sea crabs to be very interesting too.

It seems there were alot of pieces at the Cantor from the Netherland/Dutch region. To be honest, I hadn't done that reading yet (before I visited the museum), and boy I wish I had!

2 comments:

  1. I have also admired this painting, and the title always grabbed my attention too! I am glad you wrote about the Netherland pieces at the Cantor. I'm doing my paper on Rembrandt and this decides me in going to the Cantor over the de Young or Legion. Nice crab shots too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGG!!!! This is sooo crazzzyyy! Lol
    Realllyy random, but I jusstt recently had a conversation with this guy the other day about crabs.
    So it was basically about our pet hermit crabs...and I used to have 2
    Surprisingly...by the names of Sebastian & Mr. Crab. =O
    Of course, seeing these pictures...I gasped. haha
    It's quite sad seeing the tasty crab laid out on a plate like that in the painting above...& then see contrasting pictures of lively, animated crabs w/ human characteristics.
    great post:)
    xox Diana Nguyen

    ReplyDelete