Friday, May 8, 2009

Romanticism


I was THRILLED to read about Thomas Cole, and more specifically, about his western Massachusetts influence, as that is where I am from!

It's amazing what you realize you don't know about the area you grew up in (well, partially grew up in)... I've driven past the highway signs for the "Oxbow Marina" a million times, but never knew anything about it! (Ok, I still really don't know anything about it.) I've been to Mount Holyoke College once or twice, but really I could stand to spend some time being a tourist in the areas around my home town.

I also enjoyed Turner's "The Burning of the House of Lords and Commons." The colors seem spectacular, and it looks like it is giving way to Impressionism.


4 comments:

  1. I lovee these two paintings! I'll admit.. i used to never like landscape paintings of just the sky, tree backgrounds & water. I used to find them utterly boring.
    But my tastes are changing. I'm growing older & more mature so I've discovered a newfound appriciation for different art.
    That's prettyy darn awesome that you've got to discover a few newfound things about your hometown. I def agree on that..it's always good to explore your past history & learn about your roots. I still need to work on that myself...never been to Vietnam before & pretty much flunked my history test in high school about the Vietnam war.
    The 1st paiting reminds me of The Land b4 time...animated, childhood dinosaur movie
    & the 2nd reminds me of WAR! Lord of the Rings, the Vietnam war...Tristan & Isolde..how there's a massive fire alongside a romantic bridge? castle?
    great post kerry! :)
    xox Diana nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like The Burning of the House of Lords painting! The colors are bright yet muted, and the haziness of the crowd scenes do indeed seem reminiscent of Impressionist art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the landscape painting, like Diana mentioned, scenery paintings can get a lil boring, I think this particular painting does a great job of capturing the viewers interest with its use of light and dark.
    Its also cool how you were able to learn a bit about your own heritage after viewing this piece and its artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerry,
    I have enjoyed blogging with you this semester. I too enjoyed the Burning of the House of lords.. very exciting painting. I liked the fact that he was kind of an early "photographer" capturing the the events of the minute in painting.
    Im from Boston, another Mass girl... but spent my life here. Im going to Boston in 3 weeks and am looking forward to checking out all of the art that is housed there when I go.

    Have a great summer,

    Kimberlie

    ReplyDelete