Friday, March 27, 2009

Renaissance Perspective

Well, my blogs are a bit out of order...! As I explained in my Trompe l'oeil blog-- about all the drawing classes I recently took at UCLA-- I was very intrigued by the reading of the origins of one-point perspective. Between the one-point perspective and the solving of "the problem of the dome," it would seem Brunneleschi was a serious architectural genius.

As someone who doesn't draw... never had before anyway... learning how to set up a one-point grid, and understanding what I was doing, was an immense challenge. It looked so simple when o
thers did it!

For one of the classes I created a museum space as a tribute to the Sydney Harbor Bridge. For the final project, we had to create a one-point perspective drawing. I wanted the main thruway to have a concrete floor... and large columns that mimic the feel of the arch of the bridge and the natural division of the traffic.

Below is the model I created of the building... and my very sad attempt at a one-point perspective. The drawing is VERY unfinished... but I do like that it shows the contrast of the floor with the columns... an element that is lost on the model as I have yet to create the concrete floor there.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry,
    Great job on the museum concept! I really like it and having stayed in the Sydney Harbor looking out on the bridge for 3 days, I really feel that the layout is a good tribute to the bridge! don't be so hard on yourself on the drawing- it is very well done. If you want a concrete floor.. you could get a bag of quick drying cement- mix it up and paint it onto your model... I agree with you about the difficulty of drawing 1 point perspective. My first drawing in this style was an exercise where we had to make the letters of our name in large blocks on 1 point perspective.. trickier than it sounds..

    Kimberlie

    ReplyDelete