Saturday, March 21, 2009

Trompe l'oeil

I transferred into West Valley's interior design program from UCLA Extension's, where I completed several studio courses. These classes were my first introduction to drawing/designing/painting anything of my own. It was fascinating to read about the history of trompe l'oeil and one point perspective after having worked with them so extensively in those classes.I do not have the means to show the one point perspective drawings that I did, but I do have some photos of my experience with trompe l'oeil.

One of my first projects was a "trompe l'oeil" piece... in a non-traditional sense?... We were to choose two paintings, with at least one color in common in the two. We could chose any pieces... a daunting task when you think about how much art is in the world! Then we had to reproduce the paintings, and cut them up (!) to create the effect that the image was changing as you walked by.

I chose two pieces that struck me by Edward Hopper-- House by the Railroad, and Railroad Sunset. I liked the idea that you were potentially seeing both sides of this railroad when you looked at my final piece.







Another time I was exposed to trompe l'oeil was in one of the history courses. We were to go around Los Angeles and find modern day examples of a variety of architectural things, and one was an example of trompe l'oeil. I took this photograph at the HSBC building in the downtown area. As you come up the stairs (from the subway?), you are met with a wonderfully painted ceiling! My photo is bit dark... I've included one of the closer/detailed shots as well... although the close up is placed pretty much above where I am standing.


2 comments:

  1. wow kerry, that's amazing!
    I loved your tromp l'oeil example, it's truley stunning..veryy illusionistic to the eye. That's not your piece? It does kind of seem like it's moving. Like the reflection of the scene upon shiny buildings as we zoom by in our cars. loves it! :)
    great post kerry
    xox Diana Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kerry,
    Welcome to West Valley! Thanks for sharing your painting project of trompe l'oeil! It is great! I would like to try that exercise some time. You can try that kind of thing with two modern art quilts. You can strip cut and re piece them to get that kind of effect, but I think your is more effective because the paper was folded so it allowed you to see the two pictures separated and then combined, depending on how you viewed it.
    Great!
    Kimberlie

    ReplyDelete